Written and directed for EnActe by renowned Indian director Feisal Alkazi.
Performance Dates and Times:
BRAVA Theatre, San Francisco
Friday May 24, 2013 8pm
Saturday May 25, 2013 3pm & 8pm
Sunday May 26, 2013 2pm & 6pm
Montgomery Theater, San Jose
Friday May 31, 2013 8pm
Saturday June 1, 2013 3pm & 8pm
Sunday June 2, 2013 2pm & 6pm
This highly educated, erudite, Persian commoner was a poet, scholar, fashion designer, shrNoor is the story of the machinations behind the purdah in the time of Mehrunissa Begum, the twentieth wife of Emperor Jahangir. Noor was a woman of formidable talents and a woman ahead of her times. Shrewd investor and businesswoman, statesman and political strategist who rose to queendom, ruled the Moghul empire in Jahangir’s name and amassed untold wealth. History was not kind to her – she was overshadowed by her niece Mumtaz Mahal, a conventional though devoted wife, when Shah Jahan immortalised her memory in the Taj Mahal.
Passionate educationist, social activist, playwright, author, master trainer and theatre, television and film director Feisal Alkazi, born into India’s first family of theater, is arguably one of India’s top three theatre directors today.
- His 35 year career as a director includes 200 plays, 32 films and 2 TV serials.
- Alkazi is the Founder Director of the theater group Ruchika, founded the NGO Ankur, the Society for Alternative Education and runs Creative Learning for Change, an NGO for gender and environmental education.
- Outstanding theatrical productions include -
- Strindberg’s The Father,
- Dorfman’s The Women
- Kurosawa’s Rashomon
- Marsha Norman’s Night Mother
- Goldemberg’s Letter’sHome
- Dario Fo’s Female Parts
- Mohan Rakesh’s Aashad Ka Ek Din and Lehron ke Raj Hans,
- Mahaswata Devi’s Hazaar Chaurasi Ki Ma,
- Elkunchwar’s Rakt Pushp,
- Vijay Dan Detha’s Odhni,
- Jaywant Dalvi’s Rishte Naate